Alaina Stedillie’ s practice emphasizes commercial and complex civil litigation involving business entities of various sizes. Her experience includes litigation in a wide range of substantive areas, including natural resources and energy law, administrative law, and defense of various tort and contract claims. Alaina has represented multiple clients in the public and private sectors before regulatory and governmental agencies, from both litigation and compliance perspectives. She also enjoys providing pro bono services to individuals and non-profit organizations.
Prior to joining WSMT, Ms. Stedillie practiced with two different law firms and served as a Law Clerk and Staff Attorney for the Honorable W. Thomas Sullins, II, the chief judge for the District Court of the Seventh Judicial District, Natrona County, Casper, WY, 2007-2009. She was also an Extern for Judge Wiley Y. Daniel, United States District Court, District of Colorado, 2006 and an Intern for Judge Stephen M. Munsinger, District Court, First Judicial District, Jefferson County, CO, 2005.
- Northern Laramie Range Alliance v. Converse County Bd. Of County Com’rs & Wasatch Wind Intermountain, LLC, et al.; Northern Laramie Range Alliance v. Wyo. Dept. of Environmental Quality, Industrial Siting Division, et al., 2012 WY 158, 290 P.3d 1063 (Wyo. 2012)
Co-counsel in obtaining county and state permits to wind farm company in contested case hearing; provided advice and counseling to Respondent-Appellees regarding governmental relations and political and media contacts; and participated in negotiations with opposing counsel.
Received affirmative Wyoming Supreme Court decisions upholding issuance of wind farm permits by Industrial Siting Council and Converse County Board of County Commissioners to Respondent-Appellees.
- Seeley v. St. Anthony's Catholic Church, et al.,
Co-counsel for Defendant in conducting discovery and taking and defending depositions.
Lead counsel in successfully briefing, arguing, and obtaining Summary Judgment on behalf of the Defendant.
- Energy Transportation, Inc. v. Transportation Partners & Logistics, LLC, et al.,
Lead counsel in managing traditional and electronic discovery, including tens of thousands of emails. Co-counsel in prosecuting and defending depositions and participating in settlement negotiations.
- The Courtenay C. and Lucy Patten Davis Foundation, et al. v. Colorado State University Research Foundation, et al., 2014 WY 32, 320 P.3d 1115 (Wyo. 2014)
Co-counsel in obtaining State District Court decision that Plaintiff-Appellants lacked standing to challenge sale of ranch by Defendant-Appellees; briefed and received affirmative decision in Wyoming Supreme Court upholding District Court Order.
- Mellon v. The Int’l Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery, et al.,
Co-counsel for Defendants in successfully briefing Motion to Dismiss and Motions for Summary Judgment in United States District Court in Wyoming (Case No. 13-CV-188). Participated in negotiations and mediation with opposing counsel.
Briefed Tenth Circuit regarding Plaintiff-Appellant’s claims of fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation and received affirmative decision upholding District Court grant of summary judgment to Defendant-Appellees.
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS & ACCOLADES
- Selected as a Mountain States Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2013-2016
- Author, “An Unstable Peace: The Northern Irish Question,” Missouri Valley Journal of Social and Political Science, 2004
- Speaker, “Points of Professionalism: Communication Strategies for Women Entering the Professional Workforce,” CLIMB Wyoming, 2011-present
- Development Editor of the Colorado Journal of International Environmental Law and Policy, University of Colorado School of Law
- While pursuing her undergraduate degree, Alaina was a member of Alpha Sigma Nu, Editor of the Missouri Valley Journal of Social and Political Science, the Outstanding Arts & Science Senior, the Political Science Major of the Year for 2004, and a Rhodes Scholar Finalist in 2003.
Alaina’s interests involve exploring Wyoming’s great outdoors, travelling, reading, and spending time with her husband and their animals.
- Energy, Alternative Energy, Telecommunications and Utilities
- Environmental and Natural Resources
- Government Contracts
- Government Relations
- Wyoming Government Relations
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- All Practice Areas »
J.D., University of Colorado School of Law, 2007
B.A., Political Science, Creighton University, 2004, summa cum laude
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
Wyoming Supreme Court, 2008
Wyoming State Judicial Courts, 2008
U.S. District Court, Wyoming, 2008
U.S. District Court, Colorado, 2011
U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 2014
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
American Bar Association
Natrona County Bar Association; President (2013), Vice President (2012), and Secretary/Treasurer (2011)
Casper College Paralegal Program Advisory Committee, Board Member 2011-Present
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) of Natrona County, Community Board Member, May 2013-Present
Casper Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps Board of Directors, President, 2012-Present
Allocations Committee, United Way of Natrona County, Member, 2011-Present
Liberty Day coordinator for Wyoming State Bar and presenter to elementary school classrooms in Natrona County, 2011-2012, Speaker, 2011-Present
Casper Museum Consortium Board, Community Board Member, 2011-May 2013
Rotaract/Casper Young Professionals Network, Member and Foundations Chair, 2007-July 2011