Edward J. Blieszner represents government entities and private property owners in all aspects of eminent domain and condemnation, from early project planning – and the determination of the most cost effective way to obtain properties and the required right-of-way for a project – to final jury and commission trials for property valuation. He also represents architects, engineers, contractors, developers and public and private owners in all aspects of construction projects including initial contract drafting, claim negotiation and final close out. His work includes claim resolution through mediation, arbitration and litigation.
Mr. Blieszner has prosecuted and defended claims for malpractice against design professionals and has represented numerous state and local governmental agencies in contract negotiations and claim resolution for public construction projects.
- Retained by City of Colorado Springs to acquire right-of-way for Southern Delivery System, a 65 mile water line from Pueblo Reservoir to Colorado Springs, and other City roadway projects
- Assisted in acquisition of right-of-way for various FasTracks lines in the Denver Metropolitan Area as Counsel to Regional Transportation District
- Appointed Assistant Attorney General to assist in right-of-way acquisition for T-Rex project which expanded I-25 and added an adjoining light rail corridor through the Denver Metropolitan area
- Successfully defended design team of one of Colorado's largest hotels in action by construction manager for claimed design errors and omissions
Publications, Presentations & Accolades
- Listed as one of Denver's Top Lawyers compiled by 5280 Magazine in the practice area of Transportation, 2017
- Named the Best Lawyers® 2013 & 2015 Litigation-Municipal "Lawyer of the Year" in Denver
- Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Litigation-Municipal 2011-2017, Litigation-Construction 2012-2017 and Construction Law 2013-2017
- Author, the Local Government Contracting chapter of Colorado Construction Law published by CLE in Colorado, Inc.
- President, Design-Build Institute of America, Rocky Mountain Region, 2008-2010
- Designated Hearing Officer for the City and County of Denver Departments of Public Works and Aviation, adjudicated claims arising from Denver construction projects including the construction of Denver International Airport, 1995-1998
- Lectures frequently at continuing education seminars regarding mechanic's liens, construction contracting and other related matters
Travel, exploring the outdoors of Colorado and the world.
- PHONE: +1 303 830 2500
- FAX: +1 303 832 2366
- Download V-Card »
- Eminent Domain
- Contracts and Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- J.D., University of Notre Dame, 1981
- B.Arch., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1978
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
- Colorado, 1981
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- Design-Build Institute of America