Laura has represented oil and gas producers, a large wind energy project, coal and geothermal operators and other natural resources developers during her more than 35-year career. She has also served as an arbitrator on a number of matters involving contract disputes between natural resources developers.
- Counseling a major wind farm project on National Environmental Policy Act, National Historic Preservation Act, and other statutory requirements for constructing a project on federal lands.
- Counsels numerous oil and gas producers on issues related to federal units, suspensions of federal leases, federal royalties and permitting of operations on federal lands.
- Has worked on acquisitions and divestitures of producing and non-producing properties.
- Has prepared many drilling and division order title opinions for oil and gas operators.
- Has obtained favorable decisions in several Interior Board of Land Appeals matters.
PUBLICATIONS, PRESENTATIONS & ACCOLADES
- Listed as one of Denver's Top Lawyers compiled by 5280 Magazine in the practice area of Natural Resources Law, 2015-2017
- Selected for inclusion in the Denver Business Journal's 2016 edition of Who's Who in Energy, October 2016
- Selected as one of Best Lawyers® Women in the Law in the practice areas of Administrative / Regulatory Law, Energy Law, Natural Resources Law and Oil & Gas Law, featured in their Spring 2016 Business Edition, the inaugural Women in the Law issue, May 2016.
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers, 2006-2017.
- Selected for Inclusion The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Administrative / Regulatory Law 2007-2017, Energy Law 2007-2017, Natural Resources Law 1991-2017 and Oil and Gas Law 2007-2017.
- President of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 1999-2000.
- Instructor, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation biennial Federal Oil and Gas Leasing Short Course (1990-2009).
- Vice-Chair, Committee on Public Lands and Land Use, ABA Section on Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law, 1988-1999.
- Chair, Mineral Law Section, Colorado Bar Association, 1987-1988.
- President, Denver Association of Oil and Gas Title Lawyers, 1988.
- Author, “A Roadmap to the Administrative Appeals Process,” 34 Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Inst. 14-1 (1988).
- Author, “Participating Areas,” Federal Onshore Oil and Gas Pooling and Unitization II, Paper No. 13A, Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Fdn. (1990).
- Author, “The Alternatives Analysis," Ch. 5, The NEPA Litigation Guide (ABA 1999); Co-Author, "The Alternatives Analysis," Ch. 5, The NEPA Litigation Guide, 2nd Ed. (ABA 2012).
- Author, “Of Teapot Dome, Wind River and Fort Chaffee: Federal Oil and Gas Resources,” 10 Natural Resources & Environment 21(Summer 1995).
- Author, “Non-Endangered Wildlife and Mineral Operations—Opportunities and Obligations,” 42 Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Inst. 12-1 (1996).
- Author, “The Life Cycle of a Federal Unit,” Onshore Pooling and Unitization, Paper No. 14, Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Fdn. (1997).
- Author, “Formal and de Facto Federal Land Withdrawals, 48 Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Inst. 25-1 (2002).
- Author, “NEPA and Federal Land Use Planning,” Public Land Law III, Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Fdn. (2003).
- Author, “Advanced Mineral Conveyancing and Title Issues,” Advanced Mineral Title Examination, Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Fdn. (2014).
- Author, “The Impact of Unit Events Upon a Federal Oil and Gas Lease,” Federal Onshore Pooling & Unitization, Rocky Mtn. Mineral L. Fdn. (2014).
- University of Denver College of Law Natural Resources Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, 1993.
PHONE: +1 303 830 2500
FAX: +1 303 832 2366
- Public Land Law
- Oil and Gas Law
- Environmental Law
- Oil and Gas Title opinions
- Acquisitions and Divestitures
- All Practice Areas »
- J.D., University of Denver, 1980, Order of St. Ives
- B.S, Louisiana State University, 1975
BAR ADMISSIONS / QUALIFICATIONS