Mr. Bacon is a member of the firm’s litigation department. He has represented individuals and companies in a range of complex civil litigation disputes, including in the fields of natural resources, real estate, eminent domain, employment, trade secret, and all types of contractual issues. Before joining the firm, Mr. Bacon clerked for the Honorable Chief Justice Nancy Rice at the Colorado Supreme Court, interned for the Jackson, Wyoming Town Attorney, and practiced with the Denver litigation firm Reilly Pozner LLP
- Won summary judgment in federal court for large Colorado corporation on multi-million dollar claims for breach of contract, promissory estoppel, and fraud
- Led trial team in obtaining favorable jury verdict in real estate dispute involving claims of breach of contract, negligent misrepresentation, and fraud
- Successfully defended a breach of contract claim on a multi-million dollar sale of refining equipment involving a major Colorado oil and gas company
- Briefed and won an interlocutory, "Rule 21" appeal directly to the Colorado Supreme Court, resulting in a reversal of an adverse multi-million dollar judgment against client
- Obtained a multi-million dollar jury verdict on behalf of a major oil and gas producer in a royalty dispute with a lessee
- Successfully brought breach of contract, conversion, and fraud claims on behalf of a landowner against mineral lessee, obtaining a favorable pre-trial settlement
- Prevailed on all claims in a bench trial concerning breach of a real estate contract and breach of fiduciary duties
- Successfully defended a corporate client against misappropriation of trade secret and unjust enrichments claims
- Obtained favorable judgments in United States Bankruptcy Court, resolving multiple billion dollar claims against a major American bank
Publications, Presentations & Accolades
- "Why Waste Water? A Bifurcated Proposal for Managing, Utilizing, and Profiting from Coalbed Methane Discharged Water,” 80 U. Colo. Law Rev. 571 (2009).
- 2009 Winner of the University of Colorado Law Review Courtland H. Peterson Writing Award for Most Outstanding Student Comment
- Associate Editor & Student Note Committee Chairman, University of Colorado Law Review Officer in Environmental Law Society at the University of Colorado School of Law
- Honors graduate and member of Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society at University of Vermont
- "Single Cast can be Cutthroat Business,” The Denver Post.
- "Try Fishing Other Side of Yucatan,” The Denver Post.
Mr. Bacon was born and raised in Denver and has a deep connection with the West. Before attending law school, he guided fly-fishing on the Rio Grande in Southwest Colorado and skied throughout Colorado and the Teton Range of Wyoming. He remains an avid outdoorsman and spends his time biking, skiing, and fishing around the Rocky Mountains.
- Complex Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Environmental Law
- Employment Law
- Appellate Practice
- Eminent Domain
- Clerk, Honorable Chief Justice Nancy Rice, Colorado Supreme Court
- J.D., University of Colorado School of Law, 2009
- University of Colorado Law Review, Associate Editor and Student Note Committee Chairman
- B.A., Political Science, Economics, University of Vermont, cum laude with honors, 2005
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
professional & community activities
- Board Member, The Nathan Yip Foundation
- Chairman, Friends of Nathan Yip
- Nexecutive, Denver Petroleum Club