Ms. Howe specializes in oil and gas title and transactions and issues related to real property law. She has worked on many issues relating to federal oil and gas leases and federal exploratory units. She assists clients in drafting agreements and title curative documents. She is the author of a number of articles on oil and gas topics.
Ms. Howe is a past chair of the Natural Resources and Energy Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association.
Ms. Howe has written title opinions covering drilling units throughout the Rocky Mountain region, covering fee and federal lands. She has also worked on many acquisition title due diligence projects in the Rocky Mountain region.
Several of Ms. Howe's larger title projects have addressed ownership in large federal exploratory units. Some of these projects involved up to 100 tracts made up of fee, federal and state lands, including issues relating to mineral ownership under rivers, streets and towns. She works with other attorneys in the firm on these large projects and we have developed systems for organizing and efficiently completing these title opinions.
Ms. Howe and other attorneys worked on an interesting Colorado case involving a will and a second, typed, signed will with one witness and one notary signature. The plaintiffs argued the notary and her employer, a bank, were liable for the value of the estate because the notary had signed the document without seeing the principal sign it. The court found the notary and bank were not liable because the damages claimed were not proximately caused by the notary's actions, and the trial court's ruling was upheld by the Colorado Court of Appeals.
Publications, Presentations & Accolades
- Author, "Preparing Title Opinions, Comments, and Requirements: Deciding What's Important (Is This the Baby or the Bath Water?)," Mineral Title Examination Institute, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, September 2007.
- Author, "Plans of Development and Unit Expansions," Federal Onshore Oil and Gas Pooling & Unitization Institute, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, November 2006.
- Author, "Payment Guidelines for the Rockies and California," National Association of Division Order Analysts, 27th Annual Institute, September 2000.
- Author, "Obtaining Rights-of-Way by Means Other than an Express Grant," Rights-of-Way Institute, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, May 1998.
- Author, "Business Aspects of Curing Title in the 1990's," Land and Permitting Institute, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, January 1994.
- Past Chair of the Natural Resources and Energy Law Section of the Colorado Bar Association
Ms. Howe is a native of Iowa and has lived in Boulder and Denver, Colorado since the early 1980's. She loves to cross-country ski and hike and enjoys the beautiful landscape in Colorado and nearby states.
- Mineral Title
- Oil and Gas
- J.D., University of Colorado 1982
- B.A., University of Iowa, with honors, 1979
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
- Colorado, 1982
- Wyoming, 1995
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association
- Wyoming State Bar