Upon graduation from Stanford Law School, William R. Rapson clerked for The Honorable William E. Doyle on the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals. His career thereafter has been in the private practice of law, except for the period 1973-1977, when he was a Chief Trial Deputy in the Denver District Attorney's Office.
Mr. Rapson has authored several articles and taught legal courses at Metropolitan State College. Mr. Rapson's practice focuses primarily on litigation and arbitration matters and includes securities work, insurance matters, and a wide variety of other kinds of cases, including representation of both plaintiffs and defendants.
- Represented employer in class action wage dispute matter. Okamoto v. Bradley Petroleum, Inc.
- Represented insurance company in disability action involving claimant's assertion of Fifth Amendment rights. Steiner v. Minnesota Life Insurance Company
- Represented brokerage firm in federal action challenging arbitration award. The Trading Deck, Inc. v. Crestar Bank
- Represented propane company in trial over non-compete agreement. National Propane Corp. v. Hometown Propane, Inc.
- Represented client in eight-week criminal jury trial in federal court. U.S. v. Byron
Publications, Presentations & Accolades
- Selected to Colorado Super Lawyers, 2008-2017
- Note, Extending Search and Seizure Protection to Parolees in California, 22 Stan. L. Rev. 129 (1969)
- Rapson, W.R., Recent Changes in Colorado Inheritance Tax Laws, 3 Colo. Law. 23 (Nov., 1973)
- Rapson, W.R., Criminal Prosecutions Under the Colorado Securities Act, 47 Colo. L. Rev. 233 (1976) (reprinted in the 1976 Volume entitled Securities Regulation, published by the National Law Review Service)
- Rapson, W.R., and Bain, S.A., Playing at Your Own Risk: Recreational Waivers in Colorado, 32 Colo. Law. 8 (Aug., 2003)
- Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Stanford Law Review
Mr. Rapson says, "I recently married Kerry Goudy and I have two children, David and Annie. I was previously married to Karen Sweeney, an estate planning partner in the Denver law firm of Holland and Hart. She passed away in October, 2006. My social activities primarily include various sports (golf, fishing, tennis, skiing) and different family-related functions. I am a member of the Denver Country Club, the Swayback Ranch Fishing Club and the Colorado Wine and Food Society."
Mr. Rapson's community activities have included: serving on the Board of Adjustment Appeals for Cherry Hills Village; acting as President of the Rocky Mountain Chapter of Phillips Academy Alumni Association; member of the local Board of Directors for the American Lung Association; member of the Board of Directors of The Challenge Foundation; member of the Board of Directors of Boys Hope of Colorado; legal advisor on pro bono basis to Breckenridge Outdoor Education Center; President of the Columbine Valley Homeowners' Association; member of the Board of Directors of Coldstream Condominium Association; Vice-President and member of the Board of Directors of Columbine Country Club; Executive Committee of Phillips Academy Alumni Council (Andover, Massachusetts); pro bono involvement in Thursday Night Bar programs; participation in United Way campaigns; member of Board of Directors of Swayback Fishing Club.
- PHONE: +1 303 830 2500
- FAX: +1 303 832 2366
- Download V-Card »
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Law
- J.D., Stanford University, 1970
- B.A., Occidental College, cum laude, 1967 Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Phillips Academy, Andover, MA, 1963
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
- Colorado, 1971
- California, 1971
- Arizona, 1975
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court, District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional & Community Activities
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Arizona