WSMT has experience in all aspects of the acquisition of property by governmental entities through the exercise of their eminent domain powers. Our attorneys are consulted to assist governments in property and right-of-way acquisition for public projects – from initial planning through final purchase. Our services include obtaining immediate possession of properties so that construction on a project may begin and conducting valuation trials before juries of commissions.
We also represent private property owners when their property is being acquired through condemnation. We provide advice regarding a property owner's rights, appropriate strategies and responses when a property owner is notified that their property is going to be acquired, and the necessary representation in court proceedings.
Representative matters include:
- Appointed as Special Assistant Attorneys General to assist the Colorado Department of Transportation in acquiring necessary right-of-way for the I-25 improvement project known as "T-Rex."
- Representation of the City of Colorado Springs in acquiring right-of-way for the Southern Delivery System, a 65 mile water line from Pueblo Reservoir to Colorado Springs, with related sites for pump stations, treatment facilities and reservoirs.
- Representation of the City of Colorado Springs in acquiring right-of-way for the Woodmen Corridor Improvement Project — Phase I and other roadway projects.
- Representation of the Regional Transportation District in acquisition of right-of-way for various FasTracks lines in the Denver Metropolitan Area.
- Successfully represented the City of Colorado Springs in two appellate cases arising from one property acquisition addressing new issues pertaining to eminent domain law in Colorado, City of Colorado Springs v. Anderson Mahon Enterprises, LLP, 251 P.3d 536 (Colo. App. 2010) and City of Colorado Springs v. Anderson Mahon Enterprises, LLP, __ P.3d __, 2010 WL 1238873 (April 1, 2010).