WSMT attorneys have extensive trial experience representing clients of all sizes before federal courts, state courts, and administrative tribunals and in numerous jurisdictions including Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Texas, Utah, Washington, D.C., and Wyoming.
The knowledge we have gained through substantial trial experience is used to our clients' advantage in every stage of litigation, from early case assessments and pre-trial negotiations to counseling and structuring settlements that help to avoid future litigation.
- Defense and resolution of a $500 million shareholder claim against an oil and gas client.
- Enerplus Resources (USA) Corp. v. Slawson Exploration Company, Inc., AAA case (77 198 00189 06 MAVI) (2006) (Arbitration concerning an area of mutual interest covering the Bakken play in Montana).
- Rogers v. Westerman Farm Co, 986 P.2d 967 (Colo. App. 1998), rev'd and remanded 29 P.3d 887 (Colo. 2001) (Defended royalty underpayment claims involving 223 natural gas well in Yuma County, Colorado. After favorable jury verdict and court of appeals decision, the case was favorably settled after Colorado Supreme Court remanded for new trial).
- Representation of oil and gas companies in U.S. federal qui tam litigation.
- Representation of a client in an eight-week criminal jury trial in federal court. U.S. v. Byron.
- Klabzuba Oil and Gas, et al v. Textana, Inc., et al, Case Nos. DV-98-051 and DV-98-137, Montana Twelfth Judicial District, Hill County, Montana. Trial court judgment granted a constructive trust in favor of our client on oil and gas leases over an area covering 200 sections of land, awarded disgorgement of profits to client, plus damages and other relief. Affirmed by the Montana Supreme Court, 316 Mont. 532, 77 P.3d 551 (2003).
- Union Pacific Land Resources Corporation v. Diamond Company, NL, et al, Case No. 97-S-129, United States District Court, District of Colorado. Case involved mineral trespass and conversion of diamonds from Colorado/Wyoming State Line diamond area. Case favorably settled.
- Jaroso Creek Ranch v. United States Forest Industries, et al, Civil Action No. 98-S-2491, United States District Court, District of Colorado. Successfully obtained injunction for the owner of a 29,000 acre ranch enjoining excessive logging by logging company. Case then favorably settled.
- Federal Election Commission v. Colorado Republican Federal Campaign Committee, Maria Cino and John Heubesch, et al, Case No. 89-N-1159, United States District Court, District of Colorado. Co-Counsel in lawsuit involving campaign fund-raising investigation by Department of Justice, favorably resolved.
- Our involvement in notable pro bono cases includes representing a high school student shot in the Columbine High School tragedy and representing a key witness in evidentiary disputes in the high-profile criminal case of People v. Kobe Bryant.