WSMT offers substantial experience in advising domestic and international mining clients, with projects around the world involving gold, copper, other precious metals, base metals, coal, and uranium on legal and operational matters from acquisition to reclamation and post-mining use.
On behalf of our clients, we perform due diligence, including mineral title, in connection with the acquisition, operation, and disposition of mines and mining properties. We also assist clients in structuring joint ventures and financing mining projects. WSMT attorneys are end-to-end experts in environmental permitting, technical, safety, and policy matters related to mining and mineral development - from exploration agreements, feasibility studies, mine permitting, and construction to reclamation and closure.
Our attorneys have:
- Conducted mineral exploration projects in Canada, Chile, Argentina, French Guiana, Mongolia, and Peru.
- Performed due diligence in connection with the acquisition of approximately one dozen existing and proposed mines in Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming, and California.
- Managed the location and development of uranium mining claims and subsequent consolidation, permitting, construction, operation, and sale of a mine in San Juan County, Utah.
- Performed due diligence and structured the purchase of two operating coal mines in the Powder River Basin, Wyoming.
- Managed the state environmental permitting of a gold mine in Montana.
- Advised and litigated on behalf of the owners of coal interests in the first alluvial floor fee coal exchange under the Surface Mining Control and Reclamation Act.