WSMT is a proven leader in legal matters related to domestic and international oil and gas development. We assist our clients with all aspects of oil and gas development, including exploration permitting, lease acquisition, assistance with operational issues, representation before regulatory commissions and local governments, and plugging and abandonment issues. We have a strong reputation for quality, expert representation before the Colorado and Wyoming Oil and Gas Conservation Commissions. WSMT attorneys also represent multinational corporations and help to evaluate international exploration and production opportunities.
On behalf of our clients, our firm seeks to resolve disputes without unnecessary lawsuits. However, we know when resorting to the courts is the best option. Our attorneys are experienced in trying oil and gas cases, from the more straightforward cases to the most technically complex. We understand this industry and we are successful in advocating to courts and juries on behalf of our clients.
Representative transactions include the following:
- Drafted oil and gas leases, surface use, master service, and other agreements for oil and gas companies.
- Drafted joint operating agreements for exploration projects in Indonesia, Belize, Hungary, Germany, Kazakhstan, and the United States.
- Represented the buyer in acquisition of oil and gas interests in Colorado and Utah for $290 million.
- Represented the sellers in the negotiation of a purchase and sale agreement, joint venture agreement and a joint operating agreement in the sale of 80% of their interests in a producing field in South Texas to a Canadian energy trust for $118 million.
- Represented HRM Resources/Winter Ridge Energy in negotiating the sale of over $100 million in oil and gas assets in Colorado and Wyoming.
- Represented several mineral owners in the negotiation of oil and gas leases with major operators involving the emerging Niobrara play in Colorado.
- Prepared various agreements for Petroleum Development Corporation in the acquisition of large blocks of Ohio leasehold.
- Represented the sellers of oil and gas interests in the Bakken play in North Dakota for in excess of $100 million.
- Represented an oil and gas association in a challenge to federal oil and gas leasing practices in federal court.