Kendor P. Jones serves as President of the firm. He specializes in oil and gas, acquisitions and dispositions, complex business transactions, and corporate law. Mr. Jones chaired the Oil and Gas Program of the 39th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute in 1994 and he has presented a number of papers and served on expert panels at annual and special oil, gas, and natural resources institutes and continuing education seminars. He has also provided expert testimony on oil and gas matters in several court proceedings.
Prior to joining the firm in 1994, Mr. Jones served for 23 years as Assistant General Counsel for Union Pacific Corporation and Union Pacific Resources Company. He has been selected for inclusion in Colorado Super Lawyers and has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America every year since such publications established in the oil and gas category. Mr. Jones has been listed in Who’s Who in American Law for the past eight years. He was named in the 2015 Top Lawyers list (Natural Resources) compiled by 5280 - The Denver Magazine. In December 2014, Mr. Jones was inducted into the Denver Association of Petroleum Landmen ("DAPL") Hall of Fame.
- Represented HRM Resources/Winter Ridge Energy in negotiating the sale of over $100 million in oil and gas assets in Colorado and Wyoming
- Prepared various agreements for Petroleum Development Corporation in the acquisition of large blocks of Ohio leasehold
- Represented several mineral owners in the negotiation of oil and gas leases with major operators involving the Wattenberg area in northern Colorado
- Represented the sellers of oil and gas interests in the Bakken play in North Dakota for in excess of $100 million
Publications, Presentations & Accolades
- Adjunct Professor of Oil and Gas Law, University of Denver Sturm College of Law, 2000 to present
- Distinguished Recipient of the 2016 Clyde O. Martz Teaching Award, July 2016
- Former Trustee, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Member, Colorado Bar Association Board of Governors
- Member, CBA Natural Resources & Energy Law Executive Council
- Fellow, Colorado Bar Foundation
- Member, Board of Directors, Denver Petroleum Club
- President, Denver Petroleum Club, 2015-2016
- Member, Board of Directors, Presenting Denver
- Co-Author: Chapter 9, Split Estates and Surface Access Issues, Landman's Legal Handbook (Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn., 5th ed. 2013)
- Author: Something Old, Something New: The Evolving Farmout Agreement - This paper was originally published by the RMMLF in the manual of the Special Institute on Oil and Gas Agreements: The Exploration Phase (2010) and was republished in the Washburn Law Journal, vol. 49, no. 2 (Winter, 2010)
- Co-Author: Keeping Your Lease Alive in Good Times and in Bad - This paper was originally published by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation in the Proceedings of the 55th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 23-1 (2009).
- Co-Author: Chained Gates and No Trespassing Signs: Dealing with Wary Landowners in a Brave New World - This paper was originally published by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation in the Proceedings of the 51st Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 7-1 (2005).
- Author: Due Diligence and Closing Issues - This paper was originally published by the RMMLF in the manual of the Special Institute on Oil & Gas Acquisitions (1995).
- Author: Restrictions on Access and Surface/Subsurface Trespass Involving Exploration and Production Technologies - This paper was originally published by the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation in the Proceedings of the 40th Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute 20-1 (1994).
Mr. Jones enjoys running, tennis, gardening, travelling, and keeping tabs on five children, eight grandchildren and two dogs.
- PHONE: +1 303 830 2500
- FAX: +1 303 832 2366
- Download V-Card »
- Oil and Gas
- Acquisitions and Divestiture
- Corporate Law
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1967
- B.A., University of Virginia, 1964
Bar Admissions / Qualifications
- Colorado, 1995
- Texas, 1986
- New York, 1968
Professional & Community Activities
- Colorado Bar Association
- Denver Bar Association
- New York State Bar
- State Bar of Texas (Inactive)